With warm weather here, windows in homes will be open, inviting not only breezes but curious children who may not know they could be in danger of falling out of them. Falls are the leading cause of injury to children, and falls from windows involving young children are especially serious. It is important to remember that screens do not protect children from falling out of windows, they just let the air in and keep bugs out. In order to prevent window falls, parents and caregivers should:
- Watch children closely.
- Keep all closed windows locked.
- Move all furniture, including beds, away from windows.
- Open windows from the top, not the bottom, if you can.
- Screens do not protect children from falling out of windows. They just let the air in and keep bugs out.
- Put window guards in your windows. Only the quick-release type of window guard is permitted.
- You can buy quick-release type window guards in most hardware stores.